Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wikis

Let's see. I am not sure how Wikis would be helpful to staff as far as libraries are concerned ???????? We all know that sources such as Wikipedia are not always very reliable since anyone can edit and change information, and the information could be untrue. A lot of the teens use it when doing research because that is usually the first site that comes up when they google a topic. As a librarian, we are told to tell them that those sites aren't very reliable, and they should try and use more academic sources such as academic databases and BOOKS :) I think Wikipedia is fun, but I wouldn't count on it.

I looked at the PALS wiki which Emily Clasper had also shown us here in the Web 2.0 demonstration a few months back. As I was looking over it, it seemed to be more on the technical end of the library field, much of which I don't really have a part of (at least here as a teen librarian).

No comments:

Post a Comment